Thursday, June 16, 2005

Well, THAT promise of quicker updates didn't work. Let's try again. Hey, if I try again often enough, I'll have quicker updates! Well, here's something I drew back in February and March that I'm calling "The Blue Chin" for fairly self explanitory reasons.

It looks better in person - my scanner isn't working, so I'm using my digicam for these guys, and not only do I not know how to use it very well, it's probably not the ideal tool. Anyway, this was an initial attempt at going back to color without using oil paints, since I can't use oil paints in a little room like the one I've got. This is prismacolor oil pencils on bristol board, exterior size 14"x17", although it got cropped a bit in photoshop. The black background is sumi ink. I drew this from a photo in the paper (something I'm doing more of these days, although I kind of think it's a waste of time from an artistic standpoint) which in turn is a still from some movie that got a lousy review. The reason I don't like doing such things is it seems too mediated from the subject. I've already got a director, cinematographer, and a newspaper editor messing with my work this way. I dunno - it's a pretty expressionist treatment of a b&w shot on newsprint, so maybe that's enough to redeem it. Won't stop me from neurotically worrying about it, though. And the neurotic worry apparently won't stop me from drawing it, either!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home