Monday, January 08, 2007

Mondayface!



I don't think I did a very good job of scanning this. Oh well, every aspect the entire enterprise will improve with practice. This was drawn in about 2 hours without reference on a Canson 9x12 sketch pad with Prismacolor cool greyscale markers over 3h pencils. I'd say the pencils were knocked out in a half an hour, with the rest of the time spent on tone. There's absolutely no PhotoShop tweaking, a little of which might have gone a ways toward restoring some of the more subtle gradations of pigment. The actual drawing of the face has no pure white in it, for example. I am pretty pleased with the specificity of the features and the ambivalence of the expression. One thing I hate that I see way too many of (mostly in comics) are generic, expressionless faces. I think that for the rest of the week, I'll continue in this way - drawing without reference, in the same size, same media (except for color on Saturday), and no PS gimmickry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home