Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Here's the story behind this thing: like everyone I know (okay, like one guy I know) I'm utterly fascinated by the present 'facelift' being given to U.S. coinage, in particular the new Buffalo Nickel, in particular the heads side of the nickel, a quickie sketch of which (in 3h pencil inked with prismacolor marker) is below. The whole thing where Jefferson's face is enlarged to the point that it is cropped by the edge of the coin, so you can't see his powdered wig or 18th C. frilly-front shirt seems like a cynical marketing ploy to make him appear more contemporary and give him greater youth appeal. So, why not take it a step further? Let's give him a bunch of makeovers! My plan is to do this up at a larger scale (this one is drawin inside a circle formed by the lip of a dixie cup - maybe three inches across) a dozen times or so and then paint or more likely draw a hairstyle and outfit on him to appeal to a particular niche market. Maybe a little jokey, but whatever, right? So, I've got a few ideas for makeovers already and they're mostly pretty obvious, so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shades. Thom needs some shades.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home